30 July 2010

July Whooshed By...

July went by really fast - again!

This is Tandoori chicken - super flavorful, nice and moist, not too spicy.



Back - russet potatoes with coriander. Front - Upma, a type of Indian corn pudding.



Chicken & Wild Mushroom Gumbo with rice. Very, very good. Takes a long time to make from scratch, but that could be cut down significantly by using canned chicken broth and precooked chicken.



Back - Bati, a dense whole-grain Indian bread. Front - Chicken Malai, marinated in a pile of good stuff and grilled on skewers.



Our niece Jessica was married on 2 July to Jake Kuncaitis here in Byron Center. Here are Mariah, Aidan and Esme just after the wedding, waiting to blow bubbles at the bride and groom.



Garlic pork roast.



Spiced cauliflower, potatoes and peas. Indian cooking has given me a whole new appreciation for vegetables in new combinations. :)



Chicken and basmati rice casserole. Kind of dry, needs some more liquid while baking I think.



Veal marsala and linguine. Now we're starting to get into the recipes I try because I have these leftover ingredients hanging around. :)



Sometimes I'm surprised by the cute pictures awaiting me when I unload my iPhone. I believe Aidan took this picture.



Here's Aidan's Lego man birthday cake! Chocolate cake, and two types of chocolate frosting. He turned out pretty well.



Here's the cake we used for the candles. The Lego man pan only holds half a cake mix, so this is what we did with the other half.



We had a great day of family fun on Aidan's birthday (see below for the post about the actual day). Here's our 10-year-old boy at his Olive Garden birthday dinner.



Aidan with his Lego man cake, when he finally allowed us to cut into it!



And of course when only the head was left, we had to make a plate of heads, just to see what it would look like. :)



My kids spend too much time playing video games, I admit it. But when they asked if I would make them each a Luma, I had a hard time refusing. I made my own pattern and whipped them both up in about an hour and a half. These little pillows have become prime bedtime companions.


The pictures are a little out of order! The kids and I with Mini Pep in the parking lot after Jessica and Jake's wedding.


At Randi's wedding shower in Indiana, each little girl had a group of women to build her a wedding dress out of tissue paper. Megan, Esme, Sylvia, and Annah all look beautiful with the beautiful actual bride in the back.