29 November 2009

The Rest of November

Parent-teacher conferences on 12 November went really well. Both teachers were in general pleased with the work our kids are doing, and both children had very good report cards.

During the week of 16 November, Aidan took swimming lessons as part of the fourth grade curriculum. He was very apprehensive beforehand, but as the week wore on, he became much more confident and even (shocker!) went off the diving board many times, something he has always been just petrified to even try.

We enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner and socializing with Jim's family on Thanksgiving - Gary, Wendy, Sonia and Samantha; Cindy, Gerry, and Gerry's dad Forest; Eddie and Mariah, Margie and the four of us were there. We missed Joy and her family, and Shawn and his family, but are hoping to catch up with them Christmas Eve.

We also enjoyed a later Thanksgiving dinner and baby shower for Erin and Travis' baby, due to arrive in early February, on Saturday. Wanda, Earl, Tim, Debby, Mindy, Gary and Clayton; Juanita and Jerry; Dave, Vonda, Taryn, Jeremy, Annah, Sylvia, Caeden, Erin and Travis; Mom, Dad, the four of us, Scott, Cathy, Megan and Emily were there. We missed those who were not with us, especially Grandma. We also had a cake and good wishes for Mom and Dad's 39th anniversary, which also took place that day. The children (especially all the little girls) had a wonderful time together.

Back at home, Jim had to fly out to Raleigh on Sunday morning, because his usual Monday morning flight was already overbooked a month ago, from all the extra holiday travelers. We hope he had a relaxing day today, before the frenzy of the last two weeks of his project with RH Donnelly starts up tomorrow.

Last week Monday, the children were both too sick to go to school. Aidan was complaining of a headache and congestion, and Esme had a fever and really nasty cough. They stayed home again on Tuesday, when I took them to the doctor for the verdict - Aidan has a sinus infection and Esme a croupy virus. Nothing serious. Aidan is on antibiotics and Esme is already almost all better on her own. Here's hoping a week away from the germ factory that is elementary school will have strengthened their immune systems.

Wednesday night TV has me flummoxed. New episodes of Glee, Modern Family, Mythbusters, and Dog the Bounty Hunter all air at 9 p.m. on Wednesday. Our DVR will only do two at once, so currently I have it set up to get Glee and Modern Family, and I hope the others air again at a less crowded time. This week will see the last episode ever of both Monk and Robin Hood. *Sniff*

I have our Christmas photo collages all ready to send out - a record low number - 36. This is typically a compilation of photos from the year, but this year (except for the kids' birthday pics) I have done a collage of pics from our Florida vacation. Since all of my Facebook friends have already seen these (and a lot more), I am not sending cards to those folks, in an effort to reduce our unnecessary paper and postage use. If this affects you, I will be posting a special Christmas greeting on Facebook when that special day approaches. Don't feel left out! I just didn't want to duplicate a bunch of things you've seen already.

I have been working today on getting a little ahead with my usual daily chores, working toward that essential Christmas decorating day on Tuesday. I vow not to put up our decorations until December has actually begun, but the kids won't let me wait a day past December 1. So I'll be wrestling with our poky tree and its temperamental lights, etc. on that day.

Jim and I have finished our Christmas shopping. While this is excellent news, we do still have to pick out gifts for the children from their grandmother Lowry. May fortune favor the foolish if we have to actually set foot in a bricks-and-mortar store to do that. Hope not.

God bless you and your family as you celebrate the birth of our Savior.