14 September 2009

Oh, it's one of THOSE days...

Jim got up this morning at 4:00 am, got ready and left at 4:48 am for Raleigh. Usually I just go back to sleep after that. This morning, I was planning to get up early to walk the treadmill before I had to get the kids up for school. I figured I could sleep another hour, wake up around 6, and get that taken care of well before 7, when I wake the children, fix breakfast, and generally prod them around making sure they're ready for the bus on time.

Well, I didn't get right back to sleep, but must have drifted off again about 5:55, the last time I remember seeing before the alarm went off at 7 am. No big deal, skip the treadmill and do it tomorrow. The children whined and complained for a few minutes, but in general they were healthy and happy and off to school on time.

I had to hurry to get ready to get to school by 8:45, to volunteer in Esme's class. That was nice, I played sight-word Bingo with several sweet and cooperative groups of children. Then I had to hurry right off to get to my dentist appointment by 10 am. Made it. Surprisingly little pain involved this time, in having two fillings replaced. However, when it came time to test my bite after the fillings were in, I couldn't tell whether it was right or not, half my mouth being numb. The dentist did a poor job of hiding his disappointment in my apparent incompetence. Later, when the novocaine wore off, I found it was just fine. I have, however, experienced excruciating pain for months before because a different dentist didn't get it right...and I was just so afraid I was going to have to go through that again. Can you blame me for not wanting to just agree and hop right down?

Anyway, I came home again and plunged into research for several hours. It is going well - and I'm getting paid for it - but it isn't very interesting at this stage. And I was tired, so I felt like I was plodding along like a worn-out pack animal or something through the myriad census records. Yes, I am complaining. I am working, I am getting paid, and I am blessed. But sometimes we all just need a good wallow, right?

Had to stop at 2:30 so I could package up the old cell phones I sold on eBay and take them to the post office, before I picked up the kids at 3:15 for their dental appointments. As I pulled up to the post office, my phone rang. It was our previous dentist's office, saying they got my letter but they cannot transfer my records or x-rays unless I pay a "document duplication fee". I said "forget it." "Okaaaaayyyy," the ditz on the other end says. So I said "thanks for nothing" and hung up. Horrible, horrible, I know, and that's exactly how I feel about myself right now.

Esme's teacher remembered and she was there to meet me right on time. Aidan couldn't be located, so we were late...but not too late. Anyway, both children had their teeth cleaned and examined. Both of them need to brush and floss better (no surprise there, but it's still humiliating - "yes, your children's teeth are dirty and you are a horrible mother"). Esme's "space" has become an optional cosmetic procedure, which is good, because I can't imagine subjecting a six-year-old child to oral surgery - we'll see how she feels about it when she's older, if it's still there. One or two of Aidan's lower teeth bites down outside one or two of his upper teeth; they call that anterior crossbite. And now that he has eight adult teeth, they are getting rather crowded.

However, in my tired, insulted and budgety mood, I wasn't prepared to be told that he needs orthodontic attention, and I'm afraid that I was rather rude to the hygienist bearing this news. I said some things about Aidan being too young for braces - he still has teeth to lose and more to come in, his jaws will grow, etc. I said some things about him being extremely pain sensitive and what a huge fit he was going to throw (remember the chickenpox shot?) when he found out he had to go through dental work. I said some things about lining the pockets of the dentistry industry. I realize now that she was right, and I did recover myself somewhat after she explained (while Aidan was standing next to me) that what he will probably need is a spacer, not braces; that often this sort of orthodontics is very slow and not too painful, preparing the child's mouth for more and bigger teeth, and that the consult with the orthodontist is free.

I did make sure to back up, out loud, while we were still there, what she told the children about brushing - they both need to do a better job, for sure. And I had to tell the folks at the office that the other office won't transfer our records without me paying the fee, and I'm not willing to pay the fee. They weren't upset, one of the ladies even said she wouldn't pay it either. They said they don't mind creating our records from scratch. But I still feel awful about being snippy with them.

We had to have leftovers again for dinner, and I got the usual round of complaints, but I get those when I serve it fresh, so what's the difference? I had to keep chivvying them along just to get them to eat. And then we had to start homework. Aidan had a lot, and it's kind of unclear what is due when, so he kind of had to do a lot that he might not really have had to do all at once. I tried to make it fun for him but how many times do you really have to write words that you already know how to spell? And he also had to get started on his AWANA book, but didn't read the directions, so did about 3/4 of the first page incorrectly, so he'll have to almost start over when he sits down to do it tomorrow, and I can just guess with what attitude he'll approach that.

Esme didn't have homework specifically but she also had to start on AWANA verses, of which she remembers surprisingly little from last year, seeing as how they start out with review. She and I are also working on spelling the sight words for first grade...as good a reader as she is should honestly be able to spell better. It's like she makes no connection between the printed word on the page and the spoken word. So I feel like I'm going round in circles with that.

I tried to play on WebKinz with the kids after dinner but we were having problems with the site logging us out unexpectedly, so that went down the tubes. I had to do the dishes (no big deal) and gather up and take out the trash (got another idiot-reminder from the garbage company today, telling me to make sure it's out tonight for tomorrow morning). There was so little trash in the cans around the house that in my present mood it only seemed like a cruel reminder how long I'm completely alone in this house during the week. And I so hate it when companies set up that message robot that calls you and a machine tells you to remember this, remember that. Our doctor's office has that sort of system now, I hate it. The last time it called me it was "reminding" me of an appointment not only at a different time than the one I made, but with a different doctor. The only options were to accept or to cancel...after I waited two months to get an appointment in the first place. So I accepted, rearranged my whole schedule, and then had to spout my entire medical history for a doctor who's never seen me before, when it was my doctor who requested the appointment in the first place, not me.

To top it all off, Allen Edwin is building three new homes in our neighborhood, and dug the foundation holes today. Unfortunately, one of those lots is in the perceived territory of the yippy little dog across the street from us, which then proceeded to bark all day long. When the workers finally left for the day, it barked at me when I took the trash out. Mercifully it is quiet now, but when they come tomorrow to pour concrete, it will start all over again.

I read to the kids (Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and their One-Year Bible) and they went to bed happy and hopefully well-brushed. Thank God for those two kids, I love them so much. And for their dad, who called me a bit ago, has his own problems but has God on his side.

One last complaint, I promise. There is nothing on TV. We don't even have our The Closer date for Monday nights any more! Dog the Bounty Hunter is doing new episodes, but that won't be until Wednesday and I try not to watch it until Jim comes home anyway. Robin Hood is back...on Saturday nights. And Monk is back...on Friday nights. And Psych then too. But it's weeknights I need the entertainment! Too tired to work, too early to read...

It must be said that I usually hold back a lot more on this blog. Still tryin' to be perfect, or failing that, at least looking like it. I made the mistake this evening of viewing the very recent picture of a friend from a long time ago, same age as me, looks like a magazine cover. Well, I sure as heck don't look like a magazine cover, not even on my best day. Today I'm completely inadequate.

Today it is something to say that my husband and I have a strong marriage and our children are happy and healthy and love Jesus. And that's enough.