So we had an eventful weekend!
Friday was the last half day of school for the kids. (Yay!) They got home about 12:30, and we all went to Mikado for lunch. Jim and Aidan put away quite a lot of sushi, and Esme and I had shrimp and veggies tempura with rice. Mmmmm...
After lunch we went to see Up, which was wonderful. Such a whole family movie - something for all ages. I wept through the whole first part, and we laughed so hard at some parts that Aidan fell out of his seat. We saw it in 3-D, too, and Esme kept taking her 3-D glasses off to wipe things off of them that "flew" into her face! It was terrific.
Saturday we had breakfast at Marge's Donut Den, and despite having no other plans we were gone a long time! We spent a good morning at the Frederik Meijer Gardens, wandering around the grounds. In the swamp we saw a two turtles, a frog, and some swans; the kids played for some time in the Children's Gardens, too. Then we had lunch at Noodles & Company. After we got home Jim and Esme had a tea party while Aidan and I took a bike ride to the park and back. We rounded off the day with a spaghetti dinner.
Sunday the Dennie family came over to spend the day. We all had a great time, grilled lunch and pizzaed dinner! At one point (at least) the children got out of control - Aidan and Esme, who know better, were playing with the treadmill with Livi. They know they are not allowed on it, let alone to turn it on...and consequences happened, this time. Esme fell while she was on the treadmill and it was running. She has some very serious scrapes on her left leg - a day and a half later they are still seeping fluids and she has a lot of pain when we have to change the dressings and clean the wounds. We really hope the kids have learned their lesson about following our rules this time.
Anyway, it WAS fun to spend time with Chris, Melissa, Jordan, Livi and Caden! They have a new puppy (her name is Molly) and we're glad they had time to come over and hang out.
Today the kids and I had our eyes examined. The verdict: my vision is no worse, no better, but I did need new glasses as both my regular and spare pairs were broken. I even managed to accidentally pick a pair that I could get in an hour! Aidan's vision is significantly worse, and we ordered him new glasses and sunglasses, which we'll be able to get in about 10 days. Esme's vision is near-perfect. The doctor said she has a slight amount of farsightedness which is no concern at all - and she certainly doesn't need glasses. Yay!
On Friday while we were watching Up, Jim got a call from a project manager, and he has a project!!! He flew out today to Raleigh, North Carolina, and began work with RC Donnelly there this morning. Right now he is planning to be there through the end of November, at least. We all take a big sigh of relief and thank God for his infinite plans for good!
Now I'm going to go watch the season premiere for The Closer - Jim and I have a long-distance date to watch it together! We're going to talk at the halfway point, so that he can as usual predict the ending before it happens.