08 July 2008

Why I Let SpongeBob SquarePants in My House

Normally, I have a strict "no SpongeBob" policy. And I still don't let the kids watch it on TV or anything. But recently while watching Aidan hunt and peck on his computer keyboard, I decided I don't want him to go through life hunting and pecking, like his grandfather, who managed to make it through his entire career by hunting and pecking.

I looked at several different typing tutor programs, and decided I definitely wanted to get one that's made for children, not adults. While Mavis Beacon is a great teacher, I didn't think there would be much appeal for a seven-year-old in her methods. What I wanted originally was Mario Teaches Typing - including a character Aidan already knows from playing Nintendo with his friends - but Mario stopped teaching typing over twenty years ago and the software is no longer available except at an inflated price.

But Mavis Beacon makes SpongeBob SquarePants Teaches Typing, and by some miracle Aidan LIKES to use the program! I showed him only once where home position is and which fingers to use for all the keys, and he sticks right to it. Now he makes fun of Esme hunting and pecking, while he slowly and calmly uses all the right fingers. SpongeBob has some cool games and encouraging words.

Anyway, that's how SpongeBob got a toe hold in my house. That's likely to be the only one he gets, though.