22 May 2008

The Mark of Excellence has left the building!



It's official. Dad is retired. On Monday, I'm told, he left with "an air of quiet dignity" - he gave an ape call on his way out of the building. Many, many people asked my brother Scott, who works in the same building, "Was that your dad?" and "Why?" Sorry, folks, it's a Hollopeter thing. You wouldn't understand.

Speaking of Hollopeter things, at the Binder Park Zoo on Saturday, we saw some Guinea birds. (When I was a kid I always thought it was "ginny," but that's neither here nor there.) I was reminded both of Grandma McEowen's old Guinea bird that hung around the farm years after all the other animals had gone, and of Dad's perfect impression of its obnoxious cluck.

What is it, that makes Dad so good at amusing animal sounds? We don't know, we just enjoy it.

Aidan has qualified (along with two others from his class) for the all-school spelling bee tomorrow. He is practicing at home with the 1600-word list that will be used for the bee. I think as long as he doesn't get the words "receive" or "received," he will do great! For some reason he has a mental block with the "ei". We're really proud of him anyway, though.

In a little over a week, the second graders will be dissecting a sheep's eye in science class. Aidan is so excited. I hope he isn't put off by the smell...

Esme has to have a vision and hearing screening today for kindergarten. I imagine they will come out just fine. She still seems to see okay, and though she sometimes has a listening problem, I'm pretty sure her hearing is fine!