24 April 2008

Third "Baby"

This morning I put my son on the bus to the second grade. I drove to another school and took my daughter to her preschool class. And then I took my datastick, loaded up with my 424-page book, to the publisher. As I left there, I felt quite sad and nervous, and it occurred to me that it was somewhat like sending a third child off to school. Not AS big of a deal, of course, but a "thing" nonetheless - no longer under my control. It is done. From the cover page to the index, it's done. I ordered thirty copies to start - I sure hope there are at least 29 people out there who want to read it...!

When I woke Aidan this morning so he could get ready for school, for some reason out popped "Up and at 'em, buddy." This must have been some sort of genetic code that just manifested itself - though fortunately said quietly and calmly, not bellowed from the bottom of the stairs. (Thanks, Mom!) Aidan's response? "Up and at WHO?" Now this struck me as quite amusing, as I never thought of it that way, even though probably half of all the mornings of my childhood began with that phrase. Although I must say that for MANY years, I thought Mom was saying "Up and Adam," which of course made no sense, and therefore required no response. Ahh, the thinking I get up to when there are no adults around here to talk to...

In other Mom news, Mom is entering some quilts in the Fort Wayne (Indiana) Quilt Show this year. Among them is the one she made for Esme's 4th birthday - an adorable A-B-C quilt with scenes from the classic Mother Goose illustrations, and blocks that have geometric interest, as well. Go Mom!

It's official. Aidan has earned a grand total of thirty-one AWANA Sparks awards - all that are possible in one year. Three rank patches (Skipper, Hiker and Climber), twelve Red Jewels (for memorizing verses), twelve Green Jewels (for crafts and mission studies), and four Blue Jewels (for club attendance). Hooray, Aidan!

He and Mason have also finally decided on their business plan for the second grade Marketplace day. They are going to make and sell smiley-face chocolate lollipops, and their company is called Happy Pops. Did you know Wilton makes a microwavable plastic bottle with a mouth large enough to accomodate candy melts and a screw-on squirt top? They do, which is good, because otherwise I wouldn't have voluteered my house as their lollipop factory. Wish the boys luck on their business venture!